Filing requirements are similar for these 5 offices, with the note that the Governor and Lt Governor file jointly as a team. Both people are named on the same filing. Signature requirements vary with type of filing, and all filings require a $150 filing fee.
Ballot filing Requirements :
- Major Party (Democrat or Republican) 1000 valid signatures within your party.
- Minor Party – 500 valid signatures within your party. (Recognized minor party)
- Independent – 5,000 valid signatures.
- There is a $150 filing fee paid at the time of filing.
- If paid circulators are used to collect signatures, They must be registered with the Sec of State on form #14 prior to collecting any signatures.
- Signatures from different counties must be on their own petition, i.e. Lucas county signatures must be on one set of petitions, Wood county signatures must be on their own set of petitions, etc. If counties are mixed on one petition packet, only the signatures from one county will count.
Review pages 2 and 3 of the 2014 Candidate Guide.
Filing deadline for these seats is currently Dec 28th 2015 for a March 8th, 2016 Primary.
(NOTE: – Odds are very good this Primary will be pushed back to May 2016)
Filing location is the Secretary of States office in Columbus.
Governor / Lt Governor filing forms
Attorney General, Auditor of State, Secretary of State, and Treasurer of State.